What am I talking about?
Basically a tiny customized map, with absolutely no other real players than themselves. (huh? - I'll come back to this, just keep reading )
The map could for example be a tiny island - a tutorial island. Perhaps with some dragon decorations or something interesting to keep the newbies' attention peaked.
Now, new players in 2017 oftentimes have short attention spans - very short. They want to chase that "high" all the time right?
Well then let's give the tutorial island insanely fast tick speed! Like 8 ticks an hour or something like that. Just enough for them to do their tasks, think a little, then move onto next tick for the next task.
This will assure that they're having fun all the time, while also teaching them game mechanics and the rest of the basics.
Tutorial Island Blueprint (the idea)
Ok so now you know the theory. Let's get more practical.
This is the things I believe would make this idea work:
- When the new player starts up BD for the first time, this island map is automatically generated for him (it's not a public server).
- The player is completely alone on the island, except for some AI colonies some ETA's away.
- The man that usually talks in our current tutorial pops up at the middle of the screen in a fancy military costume or something. However, this time he is not talking about what Battledawn is... Instead, there is a disastrous crisis... "Sir! Your colony is being attacked. Now, I will be here to assist you... bla bla..."
- Then, you're introduced to unit recruitment (which I think should be simplified , no need with all these different unit types and advanced "which unit kills this type easiest...bla bla" type of setup).
- After essential structures are built (which takes only a few seconds or very few minutes with 8+ tick theme) the player gets hit by the attack and survives due to the units he recruited. "Hurray bla bla..." says the tutorial man voice.
- Now, the tutorial voice amps the player up. "It's time for revenge sir!" "The war is on" "But first we will have to scan the enemy to see his army, we must be prepared and outnumber his men!"
- Then the player first scans and maybe plants spies on the AI colonies.
- Then the player attacks and conquer them all.
Of course, there is more to it, they must be introduced to rankings and how to spot good alliances and such, which could be a second tutorial (an optional one).
But for now, what do you guys (and Tacticsoft) think about having a tutorial island for new players?
Please vote, if we get enough, it might get implemented to the game and the player base will increase!
- I would like to see a tutorial island for beginners!
- I don't think this would work.
Votes are public.