different ideas of tournaments was offered lomg before. I will point out what your suggestion have.
First, amount of players and rewards. Game have hunderds of rank 1s, hundreds of ranks 2-4, thousads of weaker ranker players. 16 players tournament is too small. Further, only 3 winning places for 16 players feels too bad.
Second, linking diferent tournament tiers to rank is silly. Higher rank means nothing than this one fought better at arena.
Third, you didn't define rules of tournament battle themself. Are players are fighting in single elmimination (winner moves forward, loser waits for next tournament) or in "score max wins"? Is fighting lasts 1, 3 ot 5 rounds (1 round = full duel, thus, keep fighting till 1, 2 or 3 wins)? How much total opponents every participant meets? And of course, allowed equipment.
my personal favourite implementation:
- Umlimited number of participants. No rank limit
- Relative number of rewards. Best 1%, 5%, 10%, 25%, 50% of all participants receive rewards based on what % they reached
- Equipment: draft. Each player receives set of random gear (no myphicals, no legendaries) and makes their mech out of it; only this mech is allowed to fight in tournament battles. Players are allowed to modify their mech at any time, but they cannot gain more equipment for that and can only use one they got at the beginning.
- Each participant can go to tournament arena at any time, to fight random other participant. Since all participants have access to the same equipment pool, no standart ranks there, everyone can fight everyone; also, only one mode (1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3) is allowed and used for all battles
- Each participant starts with defined amount of rank points, always the same for everyone (for example, 5000). Each victorty increases your tournament rank points, while each defeat reduces.
- When tournament time ends, ranking list of players based on points they have defines how well each one is rewarded. For example, with 1024 aprticipants, top 256 are passing into top 25% reward category
Supposed rewards, with X being certain part of entry fee (probably 60-80%)
Top 1% players receive 10X an also a gold box and power kit 10000
Top 5% players receive 5X an also a gold box and power kit 5000
Top 10% players receive 4X an also a silver box
Top 25% players receive 1,66X an also a silver box
Top 50% players receive 1X
Everyone participating is allowed to keep the items they received in the tournament, as well as standart credits/XP rewards they got from battles. Supposed entry fee is 500K credits
Additionally, if 1000 or more players are participating, top 0,1X may also receive second golden box